The research programme
The Healthy Ageing research programme is divided into two topic areas, each with several milestones.
The milestones planned for this research field are:
- characterise the biological mechanisms of ageing,
- arrive at a systems-biology understanding of ageing processes that are built into living organisms (intrinsic ageing) or triggered by environmental factors (extrinsic ageing),
- characterise the molecular mechanisms of age-related factors such as diabetes, rheumatism, cancer, dementia, and adiposity,
- identify age-related cognitive changes and their social consequences,
- explore how socio-economic and physio-social statis interact whith biological ageing processes.
The milestones for this area involve developing and validating:
- pharmacological, physical and nutrition-based strategies,
- behaviour-mediated strategies,
- integrated concepts for maintaining everyday mobility and independent living.